[News] Introduction to Software Freedom, Why Those Skills Count

  • Subject: [News] Introduction to Software Freedom, Why Those Skills Count
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:29:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Back to Basics: What Is Open Source Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's choice a few weeks ago, to use a
| modified version of the BSD open-source
| license for its WebM format and VP8 codec
| raised the discussion of open-sourcing to
| a level that it was covered by more than
| just the tech media.
|
| Even after Google dropped the "poison
| pill" additions that were in the original
| licensing terms, reverting to a standard
| BSD license, the question that many
| involved in online video are asking is
| "what exactly is open source anyway?"
|
| To help shed light on that question, and
| its applicability to streaming media,
| let's look at the difference between
| commercial proprietary applications, free
| software applications, and open-source
| code.
`----

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Back-to-Basics-What-Is-Open-Source-Software-68051.aspx

Clue is a renewable resource

,----[ Quote ]
| Congratulations! You've hired a fantastic
| open source developer. You know she's
| fantastic because you were able to check out
| her commits on public projects, you've read
| the mailing list archives to learn how she
| communicates, and you know before she starts
| that she's a passionate self-motivated
| detail-oriented coder and that she's not an
| asshole. She's clueful and she's perfect!
|
| Now, what are you going to do with her? If
| you're like most employers, you'll
| systematically destroy her value to your
| organization by exploiting her current skills
| and failing to build future skills.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/clue-is-a-renewable-resource.html

The future involves knowing FOSS like Apache, not Novell Netware.

Recent:

Hyderabad: The New Training Destination For Open Source Enthusiasts

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is the 'buzz' word in the IT
| fraternity these days. From bigwigs like
| Google or Yahoo! to SMEs, everyone is
| embracing open source with open arms. The
| main stumbling block is a severe talent
| crunch for most players. Shortage of
| enterprise-ready professionals who can be
| put on the job from day one and keeping the
| current resource pool up-to-date on the
| latest technologies are the twin issues
| faced by open source adopters. To tide over
| this problem, Taashee Linux Services, an
| open source software and training company,
| has opened a new Red Hat Training facility
| at Hyderabad, a city that is poised to
| become the next IT and electronics hub of
| India.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/e1/creativenews.asp?edid=44703

Liberia will need Open Source Software Solutions instead of costly Proprietary Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| The global financial crisis that began a few
| years ago has had an impact on every
| industry, organization, government, etc. ICT
| departments facing this crisis have had to
| seek low cost alternatives and solutions to
| ensure business continuity. Because of its
| unique model, costs-saving and robustness,
| Open Source software has become the
| alternative that ICT executives have turned
| to. Since it is flexible and provides
| several capabilities, Open Source software
| has made way into the enterprise so fast
| that its impact has been felt significantly
| on economies, especially during the recent
| financial crisis. Because of this, it has
| become ubiquitous in the ICT industry.
|
| [...]
|
| Open Source Software provides a multitude of
| options that can be used in the enterprise.
| Linux, Apache, MySQL, PostGre, Java, PHP,
| etc., are a few of the many low cost
| software options that Open Source provides
| to enterprises. Proprietary software like
| Windows, Internet Information Server, SQL,
| Microsoft.Net are software with prohibitive
| cost that a nation like Liberia, still
| struggling to build an ICT sector, should
| consider implementing after exploring more
| cost-effective options.
`----

http://www.liberianobserver.com/node/6114

Open Source Infrastructure Management tool helps JSL reduce downtime by over 50 percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Dhir decided that he would go in for an open
| source IT infrastructure management tool,
| after making all the necessary tests. âWe
| were treading on a new path where few
| organizations in India had walked on.
`----

http://informationweek.in/Open_Source/10-02-22/Open_Source_Infrastructure_Management_tool_helps_JSL_reduce_downtime_by_over_50_percent.aspx

Do It Yourself! It works

,----[ Quote ]
| How has your experience been with open source?
|
| There is a big misconception that open source
| is cheap and free. I would rather say its
| virtues are flexibility, robustness and its
| capability to address any kind of business
| challenge, which is what, is often missing in
| other options. For one, security loopholes
| are less of a concern with open source. Many
| applications and the email platforms have now
| been virtualized and powered with open source
| at the company. And that has interestingly
| been with purely in-house efforts. That has
| helped us save a lot of capex and operational
| costs.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Enterprise/EC-Interviews/News-Reports/Do-It-Yourself-It-works/132037/0/

MSU BCA students' Install Fest' a treat for IT savvy

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/vadodara/MSU-BCA-students-Install-Fest-a-treat-for-IT-savvy/articleshow/5217063.cms