[News] Encyclopaedia Britannica Becomes Patent Aggressor, Yoga Harmed by Patents

  • Subject: [News] Encyclopaedia Britannica Becomes Patent Aggressor, Yoga Harmed by Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:50:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

It Appears That The Encyclopaedia Britannica Entry On Shaking Down GPS Providers With A Bogus Patent Needs Updating

,----[ Quote ]
| The Encyclopaedia Britannica has not exactly
| been having a good decade. In the minds of
| much of the public (though, certainly not
| all), the usefulness of Britannica has long
| been surpassed by Wikipedia. A couple years
| ago, we gave Britannica's president a chance
| to explain his views on where Britannica is
| going, but it still seems like an uphill
| battle. Among the more ridiculous things that
| Britannica has tried to do is to also turn
| itself into a bit of a patent troll. Back in
| 2007, it sued a bunch of GPS companies for
| patent infringement. Scratching your head
| over why Britannica holds patents on GPS
| technology? The answer is even more
| convoluted than you can imagine.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100625/2351149966.shtml

Itâs true but hard to believe it â Attempt to patent Yoga

,----[ Quote ]
| American attempt to patent yoga, puts Indians
| on their toes. Last week, Open Source Yoga
| Unity, a San Francisco-based non-profit group
| of yoga enthusiasts, filed a federal lawsuit
| attacking Choudhuryâs patent on 26 yoga
| postures.At the center of the suit is the
| question. ââWhose yoga is it anyway? â The
| saying, âWhatâs in the past, should stay in
| the pastâ â doesnât work here.
`----

http://findtut.com/it%E2%80%99s-true-but-hard-to-believe-it-attempt-to-patent-yoga-446850

Recent:

Encyclopedia Britannica loses patent ruling

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/314259/encyclopedia_britannica_loses_patent_ruling