[News] The Linux-Independence Day Connection and Why GNU/Linux is Valuable

  • Subject: [News] The Linux-Independence Day Connection and Why GNU/Linux is Valuable
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:56:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lin-dependence day!

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday I was honored to sit in front of a
| group from the Techrepublic community and talk
| open source. The driving force of the debate
| was open source vs. proprietary software. The
| ever-present subtext of that debate is Linux
| vs. Windows. The audience was pleasantly
| surprised when the debate never turned sour.
| Why is that? So many asked. The answer,
| although one-sided, is simple.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1661

The Advantages of Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Every now and then, I receive emails from
| people who are asking me to explain the
| benefits or advantages of using Linux. I just
| answered them with a link or two to articles
| that could give a good explanation regarding
| the subject matter. But since I realized that
| it would be better if my response were based on
| my own experience, I finally decided to write a
| simple list that I could use to answer those
| who want to know the benefits of using Linux.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/07/advantages-of-using-linux.html

10 Misconceptions about Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is not an OS, it is actually a kernel
| which is the middleware between your Apps and
| Hardware! The Better the Kernel, the better the
| system responds! and better error handling!
`----

http://www.techxilla.com/2010/07/04/10-misconceptions-about-linux/

Recent:

Who Should - or Shouldn't - Use Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Independence Day may come only once a year
| here in the land of stars and stripes, but
| the topic of independence is one that's never
| far from Linux bloggers' minds.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Who-Should---or-Shouldnt---Use-Linux-70329.html

'Lindependence 2008' aims to Free Felton from Microsoft Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're trying to get as many people as possible to switch to Linux, because
| the main thing is most people don't use computers for fancy things, so
| they're wasting money," said Ken Starks, a Linux advocate and owner of HeliOS
| Solutions in Austin, Texas, which strives to create technologies and provide
| cost effective products to its customers.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/centralcoast/ci_9750560?nclick_check=1

Lindependence 2008 -- An invitation

,----[ Quote ]
| Lindependence 2008 introduces Linux to the town of Felton, California --
| about 6,000 people who live at the foot of the San Lorenzo Valley in Santa
| Cruz County, California. The plan behind Lindependence 2008 involves
| assisting those wishing to declare their digital independence for an entire
| week -- starting on Independence Day 2008 -- by using their choice of distro
| and FOSS programs.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/lindependence-2008-an-invitation-629376/#post3094661

Linuxy Declarations of Independence