[News] Reviews and Introductions to GNU/Linux Applications (Digest)

  • Subject: [News] Reviews and Introductions to GNU/Linux Applications (Digest)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:37:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[mostly GNU/Linux only]

8 of the Best Linux Flashcard Software

,----[ Quote ]
| A flashcard stores information on a set of
| cards, with the information being typically
| portrayed as words and numbers. The purpose
| of flashcards is to enable individuals to
| store verbal and visual information, often
| as a learning drill by way of spaced
| repetition. The Leitner system is a popular
| method of studying with flashcards using
| spaced repetition.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100629145905781/Flashcard.html

Minitunes (A.k.a. 'Just Another Music Player, Only Better') 0.1 Released! [Ubuntu PPA]

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/minitunes-aka-just-another-music-player.html

Kupfer 201 Released With New Plugins, Authentication Bug Fixed [GNOME Do Alternative]

,----[ Quote ]
| But now Kupfer 201 has been released
| featuring loads of new plugins but also some
| important bugfixes. An important bug fixed
| in Kupfer 201 is the one I was telling you
| about above, so the Twitter, PicasaWeb and
| Gmail plugins finally work - just make sure
| you give it some time to authentificate
| after entering your credentials.
| Unfortunately this bug is only partially
| fixed.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/kupfer-201-released-with-new-plugins.html

Linuxables: Choosing Your Text Editor

,----[ Quote ]
| Text editors on Linux. Few things conjure up
| more images and memories of heated flame
| wars. Sure, you have the classic KDE vs.
| GNOME, and today's Firefox vs. Chrome, but
| those battles pale in comparison to the
| mother of them all: the Emacs vs. vi wars.
| Who won? We all did.
`----

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/325293:linuxables-choosing-your-text-editor

Three video transcoding applications for Linux worth knowing

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are a movie junkie like me, chances
| are you have quite a number of movies on
| your computer that would be nice watching on
| your DVD player or home theater system,
| mobile phone or portable multimedia device.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/07/three-video-transcoding-applications.html

Me TV â Digital television viewer for GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Me TV is a digital television viewer for
| GNOME. Me TV was developed for the modern
| digital lounge room with a PC for a media
| centre that is capable of normal PC tasks
| (web surfing, word processing and watching
| TV). It is not designed to be a full-blown
| media centre, such as MythTV, but will
| integrate well with an existing GNOME
| desktop.
`----

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/me-tv-digital-television-viewer-for-gnome.html

[compiz] Compiz 0.9.0 is Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Compiz 0.9.0 is released!
|
| This is the first unstable release of the
| Compiz 0.9 series. This release represents a
| complete rewrite of the 0.8 series from C to
| C++, brings a whole new developer API,
| splits rendering into plugins, switches the
| buildsystem from automake to cmake and
| brings minor functionality improvements.
| This release represents the first developer
| and tester preview of what will eventually
| make the 0.10.x stable series. Please note
| that as such, it is not yet ready for
| general use as there are a number of known
| issues, regressions and incomplete
| functionality.
`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2010-July/003429.html

Compiz in your browser â unlock Firefox 3.6 hidden features

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre running lucid, you should have the
| latest version 3.6 of Firefox from Mozilla.
|
| Here are some hidden features  disabled by
| default, similar to Compiz expo and shift-
| switcher.
`----

http://indlovu.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/compiz-in-your-browser-unlock-firefox-3-6-hidden-features/

Ailurus - A Useful Ubuntu Tweak Alternative For Beginners

,----[ Quote ]
| Ailurus is cross-Linux-distribution GPL
| software, which aims at making Linux easier
| to use for beginners. Rather than a Ubuntu
| Tweak alternative, Ailurus is the kind of
| app you can use along Ubuntu Tweak. Ailurus
| is available for Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint
| while Ubuntu Tweak is a dedicated Ubuntu
| only application.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/ailurus-useful-ubuntu-tweak-alternative.html

Wuala - Linux friendly secure DropBox alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users are already spoilt for choice
| when it comes to free online cloud storage.
| UbuntuOne and Dropbox both offer 2GB for
| nothing whilst newly announced project
| SparkleShare aims to better both of these.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/wuala-linux-friendly-secure-dropbox.html

Control Applications With Simon Speech Recognitions

,----[ Quote ]
| Awesome way to control applications,
| installed operating system, sound
| recognition text typing without using mouse
| or keyboard. working on multi platforms,
| user interface KDE, Qt.
|
| Also including Simon add ons download center
| support many applications Media centers, Web
| browser, text editor, Multimedia
| applications, and utilities application such
| as Gnome Screenshot tool.
`----

http://www.linuxnov.com/control-applications-with-simon-speech-recognitions/

Terminator 0.94 released!

https://launchpad.net/terminator/+announcement/6261

Lightspark Flash Player Continues To Advance

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in May we reported on the Lightspark
| Flash Player that was developed by a free
| software developer using Adobe's released
| SWF/Flash documentation and has hit a point
| where its ActionScript 3.0 support is nearly
| complete, has a JIT engine that leverages
| LLVM, supports OpenGL rendering, and boasts
| various other features as an open-source
| Flash Player alternative to Adobe's binary
| plug-in. Today a new release candidate of
| Lightspark 0.4.2 is available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODM5Ng

The Ultimate Organiser for the Console Junkie

,----[ Quote ]
| Calcurse can operate in three modes. The
| first is the non-interactive mode, where you
| have to pass arguments to the program and
| get the output on the terminal. The second
| interactive mode has the interface in
| ncurses and you have to use your keyboard to
| run a menu-driven application. The third is
| the background mode or the daemon mode.
|
| Non-interactive mode: In this mode, you have
| to pass arguments to the application from
| the shell and run it. This mode does not
| start the ncurses-based user interface but
| only dumps the output to STDOUT (in this
| case, the shell). Youâll find a list of all
| valid arguments along with their
| descriptions in the man page.
`----

http://www.linuxforu.com/reviews/the-ultimate-organiser-for-the-console-junkie/

Locate your stolen Linux laptop With Prey - free, opensource tracking app

,----[ Quote ]
| No-one goes out of their way to lose their
| laptop let alone have it stolen. Usually in
| these situations there is but a slim chance
| of finding, locating or recovering your
| laptop unless it has your address scrawled
| on the back like a label in 5th gradersâ
| coat.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/locate-your-stolen-linux-laptop-with.html

Squeeze More Battery Life from Your Linux Netbook with Jupiter

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the major selling points of Eee PC
| netbooks is their impressive battery life
| which is achieved by utilizing the Asus
| Super Hybrid Engine (SHE) technology. While
| it's designed to work under Windows, you can
| take advantage of this technology if you're
| running a Linux distro on your Eee PC,
| courtesy of the Jupiter utility. Although
| this tool is designed primarily for Eee PC
| netbooks, it works well on pretty much any
| notebook. So if you want to squeeze as much
| battery life from your machine as you can,
| Jupiter is worth a try.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Squeeze-More-Battery-Life-from-Your-Linux-Netbook-with-Jupiter

Best Lightweight Applications for Linux .

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the list of some of the best
| Lightweight applications available in Linux
| . I hope you like it . Please give your
| feedback in comments .
`----

http://harbhag.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/best-lightweight-applications-for-linux/

Two possible, maybe, could-be kernel bugs

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/two-possible-maybe-could-be-kernel-bugs/

8 of the Best Free Linux Twitter Clients

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://en.digitalkamera.com/8-of-the-best-free-linux-twitter-clients/