[News] A Look at Light GNU/Linux Distributions Which Pack a Lot of Features

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Light GNU/Linux Distributions Which Pack a Lot of Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:53:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Big distributions, little RAM 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I will point out though that almost all of
| the distributions have done a good job of
| lowering memory usage with system updates,
| which is very commendable. Also itâs
| important to note that even though RAM and
| disk space increase with updates so might
| performance so itâs all about which metric
| you hold as most important.
`----

http://thelinuxexperiment.com/guinea-pigs/tyler-b/big-distributions-little-ram-2/

Liquorix Squeezes the Most Out of Your Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Switching to Linux has many reasons -
| Security, Stability, Performance, and of
| course, Cost. Be whatever the reasons,
| performance becomes the eventual priority
| for desktop as the viruses, malwares and
| breakdowns don't come in the linux-users
| way.
|
| How to get the most out of a Linux desktop?
| Well, there are so many tricks, tweaks and
| hacks such as using a just right, well
| customized kernel, removing unnecessary
| services, apps, packages, paralleling boot
| process, using a lightweight window manager
| and desktop environment....and a dozen
| others. A long time user often dabbles to do
| these things of which the first, and perhaps
| the most important is hacking the kernel
| fitting impeccably to his/her hardware and
| working requirements.
`----

http://pclinuxos2007.blogspot.com/2010/07/liquorix-squeezes-most-out-of-your.html

Recent:

Ultra-minimal Linux Desktops Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the three, fvwm looks most like a
| 'normal' window manager. It's pretty basic,
| though. When you start it up for the first
| tine, there's no desktop decoration at all.
| No menu bar, no docking bay; the only thing
| you can do is to click on the desktop,
| which fires up a basic menu.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7061/1/