[News] [Rival] Gates Foundation Pays Web Sites That Praise It, Starts Advertising Blitz to Change schools

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Gates Foundation Pays Web Sites That Praise It, Starts Advertising Blitz to Change schools
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:21:59 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gates Foundation quadruples Crosscut grant

,----[ Quote ]
| This month, the Gates Foundation posted a
| $400,000 grant to Seattle news and opinion
| blog Crosscut, which late last year
| received $100,000 from the worldâs largest
| foundation.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2010/07/gates_foundation_quadruples_grant_to_seattle_blog.html

Wanted: Ad firm to tout Memphis City Schools Gates Foundation Grant

,----[ Quote ]
| PR effort seeks to recruit top teachers,
| attract private funds
|
| Just about the time the leaves begin
| changing color this fall, Memphis City
| Schools itself expects to roll out a more
| colorful and nuanced image.
|
| The district plans to spend about $200,000
| on professionally designed TV ads, social-
| media campaigns and print advertising as it
| pushes to recruit high-quality teachers,
| retain the ones it has and pump up a
| community fund drive scheduled to raise
| $21.3 million by the end of the year -- a
| task the district took on when it received
| a $90 million grant from the Bill & Melinda
| Gates Foundation.
`----

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/30/wanted-ad-firm-to-tout-mcs-gates-foundation/

Lobbying to change schools after all the advertising:

Small Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| School reform advocates are rightly excited
| about a persuasive new study showing that
| New York Cityâs small, specialized high
| schools are outperforming larger, more
| traditional schools, significantly
| narrowing the graduation-rate gap that
| currently exists between white and minority
| students across the city.
|
| [...]
|
| The study, done by MDRC, a nonpartisan
| research group and paid for by the Bill and
| Melinda Gates Foundation, focused on about
| 21,000 students. Nearly half attended the
| small schools focused on in the study, and
| the rest attended schools that were mainly
| larger and older.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/opinion/01thu3.html

Bill Gates touts charter schools, accountability

,----[ Quote ]
| Billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates
| said Tuesday that charter schools can
| revolutionize education, but that the
| charter school movement also must hold
| itself accountable for low-performing
| schools.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9GLJ15O0.htm

With goal of newer, better teaching, charter schools have spread across Texas

,----[ Quote ]
| The forces include strong local political
| support, backing from philanthropic giants
| like the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation,
| ambitious charter school management groups,
| private investors, fed-up urban parents â
| and even President Barack Obama.
`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/DN-charterexplode_02met.ART0.State.Edition1.2975b36.html

          "In the fall of 1982, Pam Edstrom [of Waggener Edstrom], a
diminutive woman with piercing blue eyes, was recruited by
Microsoft. [...] In modern-day business, flacks were responsible
 not only for avoiding bad press, but for spinning the good. [...]
 Hanson and Edstrom would spin a whole new image for Gates himself.
They would tap the best and worst of Chairman Bill, changing his
clothes, his voice, and his allegiances, driving him to become not
just the boss, but, essentially, the company mascotâa sort of
high-technology Colonel Sanders."

        --Pam's daughter

Recent:

Gates Foundation expands global work with Weber Shandwick

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
| expanded its work with Weber Shandwick,
| awarding the firm its global
| communications business after a
| competitive bid.
|
| The firm began work on the account June 1.
| Melissa Milburn, deputy director of media
| relations for the foundation, said by e-
| mail that Weber Shandwick was selected
| because of the firm's "global reach."
`----

http://www.prweekus.com/pages/login.aspx?returl=/gates-foundation-expands-global-work-with-weber-shandwick/article/172555/&pagetypeid=28&articleid=172555&accesslevel=2&expireddays=0&accessAndPrice=0

Gates Foundation public relations working overtime

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is an informercial on smart global
| health. The public relations people at the
| Gates Foundation are working overtime these
| days.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2010/5/18/4531624.html

Three agencies vie for Gates Foundation global PR business

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has
| shortlisted three agencies to pitch for its
| extensive global PR activity.
|
| Weber Shandwick, Waggener Edstrom and Hill &
| Knowlton are all taking part in the final
| round of the review, according to the
| organisationâs deputy director of media
| relations, Melissa Milburn.
|
| It is further understood that Edelman took
| part in the initial phase of the review.
| Milburn confirmed that the search for a new
| agency of record is underway.
`----

http://streetmedia.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/three-agencies-vie-for-gates-foundation-global-pr-business/

Three Agencies vie for Gates Foundation Global PR Business

http://www.holmesreport.com/story.cfm?edit_id=11429&typeid=1&goto=story

Microsoft decision puts public libraries at risk

http://windowssecrets.com/2010/04/08/01-Microsoft-decision-puts-public-libraries-at-risk/#story1

Microsoft Made Choices, Libraries Must Respond

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://myblog.latestrend.com/general/microsoft-made-choices-libraries-must-respond/

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.568.3