[News] Debian Numbers, Editions, and Derivative Sidux in Review

  • Subject: [News] Debian Numbers, Editions, and Derivative Sidux in Review
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:44:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Debian by its numbers, as seen by keyring-maint

,----[ Quote ]
| At keyring-maint, we got a request by our
| DPL, querying for the evolution of the
| number of keys per keyring â This can be
| almost-mapped to the number of Debian
| Developers, Debian Maintainers, retired
| and deleted accounts over time since the
| keyrings are maintained over version
| control.
`----

http://gwolf.org/blog/debian-its-numbers-seen-keyring-maint

Debian Editions

http://techledger.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/debian-editions/

Sidux 2010-01: Rolling Release KDE Goodness

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to Linux distributions,
| Sidux is an interesting character. While
| many distroâs âpiggybackâ on well known
| distributions (especially Ubuntu) and
| release their own âflavorâ after the
| parent distribution is released, Sidux
| does things a bit differently. Sidux is
| still built on top of a parent distro
| (Debian) but is made to be a rolling
| release distribution by taking the
| packages that are in Debian Unstable,
| though adding customizations to make it
| stable.
|
| I tried out Sidux very briefly a few
| months back, and was turned off by the
| number of updates that were available
| initially and the fact that they broke my
| system. The problem was that so much time
| had passed since their last spin (the
| previous version was released in April of
| 2009), that there have been so many
| changes that the updates just completely
| broke my system. (Linux changes faster
| than any other operating system, bar none,
| so having updated spins is a very
| important thing).
|
| [...]
|
| Sidux is a really good distribution,
| though itâs not perfect. Itâs clearly not
| for beginners, though there is a nice
| manual included so it may not be all that
| bad. As a power user, I had absolutely no
| problem using it and getting it up and
| running. I can see that excessive updates
| may be a problem to a beginning user, as
| package update overload can sometimes
| break things, but for me itâs been stable.
| As a matter of fact, if I wasnât using
| Arch, Sidux would probably be my next best
| choice as I donât think I could use
| anything but a rolling distro. Sidux is
| definitely well worth checking out, though
| I do recommend you try it in a Virtual
| Machine first to get the hang of it before
| installing it on a production machine.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1669

Recent: