[News] New Examples of Open Hardware: Makerbot, Arduino

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Open Hardware: Makerbot, Arduino
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:33:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What Is Makerbot, Makerbot Inside and Outside

,----[ Quote ]
| âThatâs one of the beauties of open source,â
| said Bre Pettis, one of the founders of
| MakerBot Industries, a company in Brooklyn,
| NY. What are Makerbots? Inventor Bre Pettis
| talks about how a Makerbot is like Ikea
| furniture, here are the reasons why it may be
| the next personal computer.
`----

http://vedicsutra.com/what-is-makerbot-makerbot-inside-and-outside-986.html

Why Arduino Is a Hit With Hardware Hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| For electronics hobbyists, the open source
| chipset BeagleBoard that packs as much punch
| as a smartphone processor might seem like the
| key to paradise.
|
| Yet it is the relatively underpowered 8-bit
| microcontroller Arduino that has captured the
| attention of DIYers.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/hardware-hobbyists-arduino/

Recent:

Event #3 â Arduino: An Open Source Hardware Success Story

,----[ Quote ]
| For the third meeting we'll be asking the
| question "what factors contribute to the
| success of an open source hardware project?",
| and using Arduino and derivatives LilyPad
| Arduino and the concurrency.cc board as the
| basis for an informal case study
`----

http://oshug.org/event/3

Arduino â the hardware revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Enter, the Arduino: a low-cost, open source,
| tiny hardware board for connecting the real
| world to your computer, and/or to the whole
| internet. What can be done with it?
| Everything. The limit is the imagination, and
| as youâll see from a few of the example
| creations we review here, imaginative use is
| the norm.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/features/arduino-the-hardware-revolution/

Arduino development on OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the draw of Arduino development is
| that it is open-source and cross-platform.
| It is hard to believe that it took this
| long but OpenSolaris can be added to the
| list of operating systems that love to
| work with Arduino.
`----

http://hackaday.com/2009/12/13/arduino-development-on-opensolaris/

Build It. Share It. Profit. Can Open Source Hardware Work?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startups/magazine/16-11/ff_openmanufacturing