[News] Bosch Patents Maths, Bilski Not a Done Case

  • Subject: [News] Bosch Patents Maths, Bilski Not a Done Case
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:28:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Bosch releases new central station receiver software

,----[ Quote ]
| The softwareâs patent-pending digital
| signal processing technology enhances the
| performance of receivers when interpreting
| these signals by more than 75 percent.
`----

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/bosch-releases-new-central-station-receiver-software

Sawyer on Why Bilski Really Means That Software Companies Should Leave the US

,----[ Quote ]
| My friend Sawyer was as disappointed in
| the outcome of Bilski as he was in the
| ending to LOST.  In fact, he asked if Iâd
| change Quotehis pseudonym to Joseph Adama
| of Caprica but I vetoed this over extreme
| nerdiness.  Nonetheless Sawyer let loose
| on Bilski and helps clarify both his
| perspective on why the Supreme Court took
| such a milquetoast approach as well as
| what one of the unintended consequences of
| their action â or lack thereof â will be.
| And for those of you who have forgotten
| Sawyerâs background, heâs a patent
| attorney that is channeling his opinion
| through me.  And weâve been discussing
| setting up a very large data center on an
| island somewhere in the middle of the
| Pacific Ocean.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/post.aspx?bid=358&bpid=25435

Software Patents Need to Be Abolished

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Supreme Court just blinked. In
| the landmark Bilski v. Kappos decision
| announced yesterday, the Court had a
| chance to right a patent wrong. It didn't.
| Instead, in a cautious and internally
| contradictory decision, it further
| fuzzified the mess that is the U.S. patent
| system -- and it will have sad
| consequences for innovation in this
| country. It was terrible timing for a loss
| of legal nerve.
|
| [...]
|
| Far from encouraging innovation and
| advancement in the "useful arts," as the
| Constitution originally envisioned and
| Congress wanted, software and business
| method patents have become a quasi-legal
| poison pill. Sometime it's from patents
| obtained years after application via
| circuitous paths and bankrupt companies,
| and sometimes it's straight-up planned
| extortion. Either way, these "patent
| trolls" lurk in the shadows, waiting for
| someone to unknowingly infringe. Then they
| sue in patent-plaintiff-friendly
| jurisdictions (of which there are ranked
| lists - we kid you not), forcing
| defendants, often small, unsophisticated
| companies, to settle rather than face the
| cost and uncertainty that defines
| litigating a patent case against a well-
| capitalized troll.
|
| The costs associated with this are
| immense, as is the innovation penalty.
| Software companies now must file defensive
| patents just to make sure that they are
| not later submarined by useless patents
| originating with patent attorneys
| themselves or at failed software
| companies. We have officially exited
| economics and entered Kafka's courts.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-kedrosky/software-patents-need-to_b_638362.html

Paul Kedrosky: Software Patents Need to Be Abolished

http://www.investingcontrarian.com/financial-news-network/paul-kedrosky-software-patents-need-to-be-abolished/

Patent Office Says No to Supreme Court and Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the machine-or-transformation test,
| a business method (read as software) must
| be tied to a particular machine, rather
| than run on a general machine like a
| computer, or transform something from one
| state into another. The subject of the
| transformation can be data, but, as you
| might expect, transformation can largely
| be in the eye of the beholder.
|
| The PTO has faced a major management
| problem for years: the flow of patents in
| vastly exceeds its capacity to process
| them. Additional money and headcount
| havenât really helped, so over the last
| few years, the PTO seemed to try raising
| hurdles to discourage applications. Given
| the volume of software patent
| applications, reducing them would clearly
| help slow the incoming volume, which is
| something the patent office would love to
| do.
`----

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10009495/patent-office-says-no-to-supreme-court-and-software-patents/

The Bottom Line on Bilski: Good or Bad for FOSS?

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/70352.html?wlc=1278524993

The Expanding Twilight Zone of Abstract Uncertainty

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-kahin/the-expanding-twilight-zo_b_633917.html