Re: The Danger of Sharing....

____/ Homer on Wednesday 29 Jun 2011 05:38 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Monday 27 Jun 2011 15:05 : \____
>
>>> That doesn't mean the results of that knowledge can't be sold though.
>>> Free Software isn't charity, it's merely the liberation of that which
>>> should never have been restricted in the first place: common
>>> knowledge.
>>
>> It's not just Microsoft. The West in general is devising this strategy
>> of using intl' 'treaties' to limit the free exchange of idea, as
>> that's the only way of impeding social justice, i.e. in/equality among
>> people, perpetuated in part due to lack of access to knowledge.
>> Uneducated people are easier to turn into peasants and the West needs
>> to ensure someone makes bananas, opium, coffee etc. on the cheap, at
>> the expense of their welfare. Remember what was done to OLPC, whose
>> goals were opposite to the above?
>
> Yes, there's a broader implication to "IP" than what's immediately
> obvious. Ostensibly it's just about oppressing competition to have
> a "clear run" at the market, allowing you to inflate prices, hoard
> profits and compromise quality on the one hand, whilst taking fees
> from those same competitors on the other, so that even their small
> share of the market also belongs to to you. It's what Neelie Kroes
> calls the Ancien RÃgime - basically the warlord business paradigm,
> and that's exactly what Microsoft is currently doing with Android.
>
> But consumers are not only being denied choice and ripped off with
> poor quality, high prices and a lack of innovation, they are being
> controlled by the restrictions of "IP", which removes autonomy and
> keeps them dependent on the so-called "rights owner", a monopolist
> that oppresses any alternative avenue for those consumers, whether
> it's provided by businesses or self-made. Intellectual Monopolists
> have essentially turned back the clock on human progress to a time
> before the advent of the printing press, transforming us back into
> ignorant peasants subjugated by warlords like Microsoft.

The co-founder of Microsoft now does a lot more damage by spreading warlord mentality
to medicine, agriculture (hello Monsanto, hello cancer), and many other walks
of life. You'v got to love it when access to patents that oughn't have existed is
now called "charity" and "humanism", which in turns makes people *more*
dependent on those patents.

"Intellectual property is the next software."

                          --Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft patent troll, Bill's best buddy

"The last thing this company needs is another fucking [computer] language."

                                --Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft

- --