Re: How to properly PGP sign a message containing a signature block

____/ Homer on Thursday 30 Jun 2011 13:24 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Thursday 30 Jun 2011 00:34 : \____
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Kari Laine spake thusly:

>>> Yes, because the Enigmail plugin for Thunderbird is dash-escaping
>>> your signature delimiter, thus invaldating it. You need to set the
>>> GPG command to include "--clearsign --not-dash-escaped" in your
>>> Enigmail preferences:
>>>
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e-mail_-_Thunderbird#Flowed_format
>>
>> Hmmmm... KNode has no place to enter additional options like these.
>
> Just to clarify, the above is a workaround for Thunderbird's Enigmail
> plugin, as it (and KNode) incorrectly handles PGP signing of messages
> that contain a signature block. However, unfortunately the workaround
> also breaks the standard.
>
> RFC 3676 section 4.3 "Usenet Signature Convention", defines the block
> as being delimited with "a line consisting of DASH DASH SP", but 4880
> section 7.1. "Dash-Escaped Text" (the OpenPGP Message Format) demands
> that any line beginning with a dash "is prefixed by the sequence dash
> '-' (0x2D) and space ' ' (0x20)", since the signature delimiter might
> interfere with the PGP signature parser, and results in the delimiter
> for the signature block being invalidated. Personally I don't see why
> dash escaping is necessary, as the PGP signature delimiter is defined
> as five consecutive dashes, so anything other than that should not be
> a problem, but apparently legacy implementations of PGP have "issues"
> with it. GPG remains unaffected, which is why it provides the option:
> "--not-dash-escaped".
>
> There are six ways to deal with this apparent contradiction:
>
> 1. Don't PGP sign messages containing a signature block
> 2. PGP sign messages, but don't include a signature block
> 3. Interpret "- -- " as a signature delimiter (as Thunderbird does)
> 4. PGP sign messages using MIME instead of inline
> 5. Break the standard with the "--not-dash-escaped" option
> 6. Only sign the main message body, excluding the signature block
>
> Option 6 is what I do with slrn. Thunderbird, KNode and other clients
> prefer option 3, but it's not a formal standard and isn't universally
> implemented, so many clients will interpret the results as not having
> a signature block at all. Option 5 /should/ work for any client using
> GPG, but again it's not a standard, indeed it breaks the standard, so
> it's not recommended unless you have no other option. And option 4 is
> useless for text-only Usenet groups, as attachments are blocked. This
> only leaves omitting one or the other type of signature, or using the
> method that doesn't PGP sign the signature block, which unfortunately
> isn't an option with the vast majority of clients.
>
> So basically, switch to slrn.
>
> http://slrn.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
> http://slrn.sourceforge.net/macros/gnupg-1.6.6.sl
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-7.1
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

Another option is just never to sign, as I did around 2005-2006 in COLA.

I was not PGP-signing until trolls started to do their identity forging, having the
desired effect of disrupting the group.

Minor point about KNode in KDE4 (not KDE3, IIRC): there is no way to sign _by default_. I
use alt+t+p to quickly toggle the option, mouselessly, for each single message.

- --