Re: Microsoft Windows Rapidly Losing Market Share (While Linux Leads in Phones)

____/ bbgruff on Wednesday 06 Jul 2011 13:19 : \____

> On Wednesday 06 July 2011 12:40 Book of Job wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> Google Analytics data shows Microsoft Windows losing market-share
>>> due to phones & tablets
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://rtn.asia/774_microsoft-windows-losing-market-share-thanks-
>>> em ergence-phones-google-analytics
>>
>> I thought web statistics were considered a highly unreliable to
>> determine distribution of market share.  At least, that's the
>> argument which is made when they show Linux on the desktop at 1% or
>> less (which this survey does, as a matter of fact).
>>
>> Also, I'd argue the claim that an increase in mobile devices is
>> leading to a drop in Windows market share.  The two are entirely
>> different markets, and I'd expect that the people browsing websites
>> from their mobile devices primarily do so as a supplement to--not a
>> replacement for--their Windows desktops.
>
> I have a lot of sympathy with that view.
> Certainly web statistics cannot be relied upon to give an accurate count of
> machine-types.  For example, I've worked backwards from the statistics, and
> arrived at the conclusion that "new Androids" are selling at a rate of about
> 50,000 a day.  Google's figures for new activations of Android are exactly
> an order of magnitude greater, at 500,000 a day.  Conclusion - Android,
> phones in particular - aren't used as much as a given PC for web browsing.
>
> We can certainly use the statistics to look at trends though - and the trend
> seems to be that people are increasingly, and at an accelerating rate, using
> devices other than a Windows PC to browse the web.
>
> I quite understand your point of view that "these are additional devices
> rather than replacements", but just as the proverbial Curate's Egg was "good
> in parts", I'd suggest that your hypothesis is true in part, and untrue in
> part.  Certainly in (these) early days of adoption of alternative devices
> one would expect that they are bought and used initially by the more-
> technically minded people, but as time goes on I can well imagine that they
> will increasingly become true replacements for the PC.
> What I'm suggesting is that the vast majority of Web Users (the people that
> we measure in the statistics) don't really need a fully-fledged PC at all,
> and never have - it's only now that alternatives are becoming available.
> That probably won't apply to anybody reading this group though! :-)

My subject line stated that "Microsoft Windows Rapidly Losing Market Share" --
a contention that many data points, not just taken on a statistical basis,
help verify. The subject line speaks about trend, not absolute values.

- --