Re: Why Diversity Helps GNU/Linux

____/ JeffM on Monday 25 Jul 2011 20:25 : \____

>>JeffM wrote:
>>>memorized keybindings and memorized menu locations
>>>makes [for] getting things done faster with no learning curve.
>>>It's one of the things that Windoze users grouse about
>>>when they pop in their first Linux LiveCD
>>>or that M$Office users gripe about when they give OOo a go.
>>>
> Homer wrote:
>>Or that XP users gripped about when they saw Vista (or Vista 7),
>>or that MS Office users gripped about when they saw "the ribbon":
>>
> Exactly.  It's also the obvious reason for the existence of
> the several Let's-copy-Windoze's-look distros/WMs.
>
> ...and, come to think of it, perhaps the port of KDE for Windoze.

It was not needed anymore.

____/ Homer on Monday 25 Jul 2011 21:29 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that JeffM spake thusly:
>
>> ...and, come to think of it, perhaps the port of KDE for Windoze.
>
> Vista 7 /is/ a port of KDE4:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/is-it-windows-7-or-kde-4-339294810.htm
>
> [quote]
> KDE Software Compilation 4 (KDE SC 4) is the current series of releases
> of KDE Software Compilation. The first major version (4.0) of this
> series was released on 11 January 2008
> [/quote]

Comes vs Microsoft documents show that Microsoft develops by imitating
the competition.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE4
>
> [quote]
> Windows 7 was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and reached
> general retail availability on October 22, 2009
> [/quote]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

It took those monkeys a long time to code a copy and it was supposed to
be simple because they had access to the source code, unlike with
OS X.

- --