Re: Choice: GNU/Linux Offers Users GNOME 2 Past Its Days

____/ Homer on Sunday 21 Aug 2011 10:57 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> ____/ Homer on Saturday 20 Aug 2011 19:33 : \____
>>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

>>> Well, apart from the obvious problem of licensing, and total lack of
>>> access to the source, it's not like they had much that was worth
>>> forking in the first place, is it? Who the hell would want to fork a
>>> steaming pile of shit into yet another steaming pile of shit?
>>
>> Rhetorical question, but OEMs might wish to have had the possibility.
>
> Oh I'm not questioning the benefits of freedom, I'm merely questioning
> the prudence of investing money and effort into something as garbage as
> Windows.
>
>> Vista prevented computer shops from selling PCs.
>
> Not really. They could have sold "naked" PCs if they wanted to, or even
> [gasp] GNU/Linux systems. In fact there's about a hundred operating
> systems out there, and that's not even counting distro variants. Windows
> is just /one/, and it's not even the best one, in fact it's the worst by
> a huge margin.
>
> Of course they'd have lost their Microsoft "marketing assistance" bribe
> money and volume discount "incentives" in the process, but given what we
> know now about the Vista disaster, frankly they'd have been better off,
> and so would their customers. The same is essentially still true of "7".
> The biggest proof of this, if any more were needed, is that one of the
> two biggest PC vendors, HP, has just abandoned the Windows PC market.

Remember that  Windows profits have declined almost every quarter since
2009. Maybe  Microsoft too should start thinking about abandoning
the Windows PC market. Heck, maybe they can become a patent troll...
and lose.

- --