Re: Humour About GNU/Linux Installation

____/ 7 on Friday 26 Aug 2011 20:13 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ 7 on Friday 26 Aug 2011 11:24 : \____

>>> The conclusion is that there is nothing to do after installing
>>> ubuntu.
>>>
>>> Hmmm..
>>>
>>> I'd pay ubuntu money if they could do this for me.
>>>
>>> After install, I go around installing dozens of stuff.
>>> It takes best part of 2 hours to remember how to do all that
>>> and get it right.
>>>
>>> I so I install Gambas, KDE, and a ton of other software.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is log on to some web site
>>> upload the currently installed profile. Then go to some
>>> other machine, load with a liveCD, log on to web site again, download
>>> that profile and let it do that same thing on the new machine.
>>>
>>> If it can name and remember and date the different configurations,
>>> the I can select what to download.
>>> When I do download it, allow me some useful options to be changed
>>> (such as use entire disk or part of it, ignore certain packages etc)
>>> and then go install everything, it would be perfect.
>>>
>>> When I upgrade to a newer version of the distro, the same old
>>> software that has been updated and whatever is still available, should
>>> also install without having to redo it all.
>>> So if I installed gambas1 in 9.04, then I expect it intelligently use
>>> that profile to install it as gambas2 in 11.04 for example.
>>>
>>> Where it all makes sense is when going from x86 to 64 bit and ARM
>>> and from main ubuntu to ubuntu derivatives.
>>> It eases the pain of installation across the derivatives and CPUs
>>> by making custom installs instantly available. When switching between
>>> different derivatives, some packages are different and
>>> so the derivative makers can suggest alternatives. So if twinkle is not
>>> available in an ARM distro for example, they might suggest Ekiga for
>>> instance that the distro maker may already have compiled, debugged and
>>> got working in their ARM distro.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Please do this for me Ubuntu!
>>
>> Canonical allows you to make your own derivative and redistribute
>> under the terms of the GPL.
>

> Thats good to know.
>
> What I really would be able to do is upload dozens of install profile
> on-line. Do the install profiles from the cloud.
> Then I can go install it whenever I meet a PC after I got
> a connection instead of walking around with dozens of install scripts.
>
> (I used to make install scripts for knoppix and Mepis
>  but I found out to my cost the scripts don't work if something
>  happened to the connection, or
>  a package got revisioned etc. The script was just too fragile to
>  continue to use. Hence the reason for suggesting that I am
>  prepared to pay for an intelligent mechanism that holds install profiles
>  in the cloud that takes care of all this detail.)
>
> The other thing I also would like to be able to do
> is share my installs with others. So I can tell my friend, to install
> the profile with a meaningful URL - something like
> [...]

SUSE has an online tool for doing exactly what you mention, but since it's SUSE
I'd rather not link to it or mention the name. rPath used to have something
similar (rBuilder), but I haven't heard of it in ages.

Interestingly enough, people high up in the Linux community (like Linux Foundatiobn, OIN, etc.)
seem to be aware of the problem with Novell, even it they don't talk
about it in public because Novell is among them. On the phone where
it is less formal and not recorded, things change. And as a side note, they
said they appreciate what I do because we need people who
encourage vigilance. So anyway, I think Fedora is the next best shot for
easily making your own distro. Fedora is a great community.