Home Messages Index
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Author IndexDate IndexThread Index

Re: Linux Spits Apple Out

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

____/ Homer on Sunday 11 Sep 2011 21:31 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> ____/ Homer on Sunday 11 Sep 2011 15:07 : \____
>>> Verily I say unto thee that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>> 
>>>> Apple too is a religion. Should we respect it through self
>>>> censorship?  :-)
>>> 
>>> I respect virtuous beliefs, not satanic ones. Delusion (if that's
>>> what it is) is not intrinsically unethical. If someone believes he's
>>> a tree and sprouts apples, I'm not going to attack him, but if
>>> someone thinks people are cattle to be slaughtered with a gun, I
>>> might have something to say about it. Attacking everyone
>>> indiscriminately just because they have alternative beliefs, is just
>>> malicious.
>>> 
>>> That's just common decency, not "self censorship".
>>
>> You don't attack the person when you attack ideas.
> 
> Religion is not an "idea", it's faith. You can't approach faith like a
> mathematical problem and try to devise a proof for it. That would be
> like you trying to devise a proof that shows I don't like cheese.
> 
> And /that/ is what you're doing with your militant atheist bullshit.
> 
> Find a new hobby, and stop attacking people, or their faith, just
> because they don't share your personal tastes.
> 
>> If people are feeling attached to those idea, then they might choose
>> to feel offended.
> 
> That's like saying if I punch you in the face you might choose to feel
> pain. I'm not religious, but even /I/ am sick to death of the constant
> barrage of hatred towards religious people. You're like a mob of thugs
> with pitchforks. There are far more serious issues in the world for you
> to worry about without wasting your time attacking religion. It's just
> malicious, and serves no purpose.

This analogy is improper. For the same reason, I dislike the comparison 
between words and violence, where people say stuff like "verbal abuse"
or compare shouting to a punch in the face. There is no physical harm in
challenging of mere ideas.

But I respect your point and view and I agree people feel hurt. I
am actually not so vocal in my opposition to religion and I typically
keep it inside circles of those who would not be offended.

- -- 
		~~ Best of wishes

Dr. Roy S. Schestowitz (Ph.D. Medical Biophysics), Imaging Researcher
http://Schestowitz.com  | GNU/Linux administration | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Editor @ http://techrights.org & Broadcaster @ http://bytesmedia.co.uk/
GPL-licensed 3-D Othello @ http://othellomaster.com
Non-profit search engine proposal @ http://iuron.com
Contact E-mail address (direct): s at schestowitz dot com
Contact Internet phone (SIP): schestowitz@xxxxxxxxx (24/7)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAk5vIt4ACgkQU4xAY3RXLo4KHQCfcka2ryttRE5nKn3SVkCff8VK
WB4An1At5jjUde576wjtoAHZUI+d1gm9
=g6CO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Author IndexDate IndexThread Index