Re: GNU/Linux Preinstalled in South Africa (Vodafone)

____/ 7 on Wednesday 19 Oct 2011 22:43 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ 7 on Wednesday 19 Oct 2011 21:42 : \____

> based-Ubuntu-netbook-to-South-Africa-1363541.html
>>>

>>> It looks a decent machine.
>>> I'd buy one if not 2 or more if they sold it here at that price!
>>
>> You could get a tablet with Linux for a couple hundred quid or less.
>

> My aim is to use Ubuntu or some ARM distro as a full blown
> computer as a component in new projects.
> Out with time consuming embedded and in with full blow
> Ubuntu I say.
>
> I tried this theory with the Genesi nettop. Gambas wasn't working and
> some bug had a nasty habbit of crashing the screen.
>
> Currently I use Acer nettops with SSD. It works like a charm but I don't
> plan spending $400 for every idea I got going and the power demand is too
> high for my liking.
>
> A nice working $100 laptop with Ubuntu is just what the doctor
> ordered for this plan! Saves me a lot of money if I decide to
> keep expanding the system.

In 2005 eSys sold a computer with Ubuntu for 165 quid, including all the peripherals
(no monitors). These days you can also buy a Ubuntu-capable machine for
40 quid... among the refurbished units there's stuff like this:

http://buy.vivastreet.co.uk/computers+manchester-m26/dell-pentium-4-2-6ghz-cheap-desktop-pc--1-2gb-ram--warranty/14454413

Not bed if you want a detached machine to experiment with or drive another
monitor/task. That's what I do personally. :-)

- --