Re: [css-d] IE6 and background-position

  • To: css-d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [css-d] IE6 and background-position
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:49:23 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:49:27 +0100
Quoting Jon Trelfa:

I've got a document I've been working on that uses a background image
that moves for rollovers (tabs).  In FF, everything seems to operate
smoothly.  In IE, however, a message shows up in the status bar that
it's 'downloading' the image everytime I roll the mouse over a tab?
Sometimes it's a really fast message, but it really shows up poorly on
a dialup connection.
Is this normal behavior?

It appears as if under Internet Explorer, CSS is handled in such a way that
backgrounds are re-rendered when re-positioned.

Do I need to preload the image or something?

I think you might have to separate
http://pps.esynergymedia.com/images/tab-bg.gif into 3 separate bits and no
pre-loading will be necessary.

I don't think pre-loading would do the trick. Images should be preloaded when
they do not appear until something triggers it. In this particular case, you
only have a single images that appears from the very beginning.

It's very odd (and annoying) because the browser shouldn't be
downloaded everytime the person rolls over a tab.

[typo] image, not browser

http://pps.esynergymedia.com

Background image:

http://pps.esynergymedia.com/images/tab-bg.gif

TIA,

Jon

You can (perhaps should) render the entire tab menu without any graphics and use
pure-CSS solutions. With plain, uniform colour in the background, there is no
justification for images either. See examples here:

http://pro.html.it/esempio/nifty/

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com