Compiling in the Background

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Compiling in the Background
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:03:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:03:55 +0100
I am using LyX under SuSE Linux, but sometimes under Fedora too. In /both/
installations of LyX, when exporting the document or wishing to view it, LyX
freezes until the translation has been completed.

I tried to disable that by appending '&' to the end of commands under Preference
-> Converters. While it appears to have the necessary effect on LyX (it benefits
from this simple case of multi-threading), the conversion stage jumps to the
next command which is opening of the compiled document; it is of course is not
ready yet. This causes all sorts of issues, the main one being that one needs
to navigate to the output file and open it time after time to get a preview.

If there any safe and simple way of continuating document edits while a preview
is generated in the background?

Many thanks in advance,