Re: Linux - Enjoy the Ride!

  • To: r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Linux - Enjoy the Ride!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:00:00 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:02:17 +0100

You wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 02:51 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>You wrote:

>>>Thanks for your help Roy it is much appreciated!!
>>>I am obviously in the wrong place to edit this file as after I 'change'
>>>it as you suggest I can't 'save' it. Yes I have found it!
>>>Let me explain.....
>>>
>>>Once Kumbutu loads I have a desktop with a 'K' where the windows 'Start'
>>>normally is.Next door R/H side is 'System'
>>>
>>>I can go to 'K' - System - Konsole where I have mhm (my login name) @
>>>DellBoyLinux (my PC/Partition name) :~$
>>>
>>>So: mhm@DellBoyLinux:~$
>>>
>>>If I type in as you suggest ( cd/etc/X11/ ) I get No such file or Dir...
>>>
>>>If I type in sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>>
>>>I get a file I can 'edit' as you suggest but cannot 'save' it -
>>>presumably as I am not in the root directory/mode or whatever as nowhere
>>>does it indicate how to 'save' and overwrite.
>>>
>>>Any more tips??
>>
>>Hi again,
>>
>>You need to edit the file as 'root, i.e. system administrator. Linux
>>protects users from doing terrible things by having ordinary users and
>>one which is a superuser (root). Windows will soon follow suit. So, if
>>you are logged in as mhm (as the above suggests), then you are trying to
>>manipulate things as an ordinary user.
>>
>>root@DellBoyLinux:~$
>>
>>Is what you ought to see when you log in as root. Around the same bunch
>>of programs where you found shell/terminal (command-line), try to find
>>one which corresponds to 'root'. It always exists somewhere. Let me know
>>if it all goes alright...
>

> Well Roy I DID manage to edit the (xorg.config) file to what you suggested,
> AND I did find the XF86Config-4 file (which was empty and blank) and still
> nothing worked other than 640x480 SO ........... I have given up on Kubuntu
> for the desktop (Live CD works fine on my widescreen Dell Laptop) for the
> time being.

If you say that the file was blank when editing it, it probably did not
exist. There are variations as to the naming of the X configuration
files. Have a 'stroll' and finding it is worthwhile

> I had a LiveCD from PCLinux which I installed over Kubuntu. It was effortless.
> All works wonderfully, duel boots OK, lots of resolution options, lots and
> lots of OTHER options .. I can certainly understand WHY you have never booted
> in XP for a while!! Once I find my Linux way round I might well install
> Kumbutu to my laptop jsut for a different flavour.

Changing between distros (distributions) is easy. You can often just
graft your home directory (/home/mhm) from one machine to the other,
from one distro to the next, et cetera et cetera.

The home directory contains your program settings, E-mail, files...
merely everything! Even desktop preferences like icons, so you needn't
restore much. Windows are aspiring to achieve the same and perhaps they
have already. I doubt it because of that darn Registry system.

> Thanks again for ALL you help and time, and guess what you are the FIRST name
> in my Linux address book, after receiving (I hope) this first message from my
> Linux Kmail.

Do not ever hesitate to use Thunderbird and Firefox. Konqueror and KMail
are fine, but even though I used them in the past, The Mozilla
foundation has always been ahead.

> Will I EVER sleep again??

Remember the following parable:

If a person moves from England to Spain and then complains that he/she
does not understand what people say, does that make Spanish a bad
language? Like any change, a learning curve is involved and the benefits
in the long run can be enormous (I remember how slow I was when I
started using Linux /intensively/ 2 years ago). Google, for example (
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/11/google-and-linux/ )
are on Linux and they don't do too badly.

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com