Re: Linux - Enjoy the Ride!

  • To: Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Linux - Enjoy the Ride!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:05:57 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:07:04 +0100

You wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 07:00 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>>Do not ever hesitate to use Thunderbird and Firefox. Konqueror and KMail
>>are fine, but even though I used them in the past, The Mozilla
>>foundation has always been ahead.
>>

>>>Will I EVER sleep again??
>>
>>Remember the following parable:
>>
>>If a person moves from England to Spain and then complains that he/she
>>does not understand what people say, does that make Spanish a bad
>>language? Like any change, a learning curve is involved and the benefits
>>in the long run can be enormous (I remember how slow I was when I
>>started using Linux /intensively/ 2 years ago). Google, for example (
>>http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/11/google-and-linux/ )
>>are on Linux and they don't do too badly.
>

> But I'm not moving to Spain  ;-)

I know, but the analogy cropped up in my mind. I remember being unable
to do fundamental stuff. Not only can I do that stuff now, but I can do
it more effectively than I did in the past (Windoze).

> What about security Roy? I use Thunderbird & Firefox in XP (and now Linux) but
> what about Firewalls and Virus Scanners for Linux.

You are in a world where these words barely fit the vocabulary. Firewall
is built onto the kernel and virus checkers are utterly unnecessary.
There are no threats "the the wild" and Linux is known to be far safer
than Windows (by the way, 3 critical flaws in Windows were reported
yesterday... it never ends).

> I realise Linux is not
> targeted as much as Windoze YET, but what would you recommend?

I recommend that you eradicate these notions from your mind. A friend of
my killfiles all E-mail messages that contain the word 'virus'. With
Linux you can do your work rather than running anti-virus software
that's eating up your CPU, running scandisk, defrag, getting patches,
rebooting the machine, etc. You will realise the difference in the near
future.

> I currently use Avast & Sygate products in XP.

I know that my Windows partition is unpatched, but I never use it. Some
people think that viruses are physical (seriously) and can travel
between partitions...

Keep Firefox up-to-date is all I would suggest. Some of these 'patches'
for Firefox were probably aimed at Windows users anyway... I can think
of one which wasn't.

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz