Re: Quality of figures

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Quality of figures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:59:12 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:59:14 +0000
_____/ On Thu 24 Nov 2005 14:26:41 GMT, [Bonhôte, André] wrote : \_____

Hi Uwe

On Nov 24, 2005, at 1441, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

The problem is not the pixelization, rather the bad quality. I
have  put up some examples here[1].
- Header.png is the png I am using

The problem _is_ the pixelation. You will always have bad results when you zoom into a jpg, gif, png etc image.

I don't agree here. The problem is the compression :-)

Attached a pdf-image that you can directly use with LyX.

Thanks, this one produces by far the best quality when used _inline_. But ...

But anyway why don't you use the original image, I mean somebody
must have drawn it, so better use this version.

You know ... big company (rather), external designers, long bureaucratic ways, ... they don't give it out. I have already asked the marketing dept here in .ch. They'd had to ask marketing in .uk and .uk had to get an offer from the external company. Next, it'd come back to me (maybe in 3 weeks), and I'd have to sign it somehow, and get the money. In other words: no way.

Ok, the "but" above: I have used Roy's hint on background images. My
preamble looks like this:

---
\usepackage{eso-pic,graphicx}
\newcommand\BackgroundPicture[2]{%
   \setlength{\unitlength}{1pt}% default
   \put(0,\strip@pt\paperheight){%
     \parbox[t][\paperheight]{\paperwidth}{%
       \vfill
       \centering\includegraphics[angle=#2]{#1}
       \vfill
     }}}
\makeatother
\usepackage[ps2pdf,pdfauthor={},pdftitle=
{},urlcolor=blue,linktocpage,colorlinks=true]{hyperref}

\AddToShipoutPicture{\BackgroundPicture{./COLTPapier.eps}{0}}
---

This works fine as long as it is "eps". Now, I have converted the eps
 to a zip-compressed pdf (Photoshop), and replaced the filename.
Tadaa! Not working. "LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic".

I really hope to get this sorted soon, somehow. Can I ask pdflatex to
 create pdfs with zip-compressed(?) pngs inside? Maybe add some weird
 param?

I truly hope you don't mind me taking this on-list (appended below), but I think that given /context/, list subscribers would be able to give more valuable advice than mine. So far, most messages missed the point about wavelet-based compression.

I know it is possible to achieve what you want on my box. Either way, for what
it's worth, has anybody got an idea how to make PDF output from LyX less
compressed?

[Roy]

...Additionally,  you can embed background image in all of your pages  so that
templating with graphics becomes easily-doable. Contact me off-list  if you
want an example LyX file.

[André]

Yes, please, if that's possible. If I may steal stuff from there.

Thanks a lot. I will reply to the list soon.

[Roy]

**example background image in LyX attached**

First thing to do is go to Layout -> Document -> Preamble.

See how I specified a background image. I found this code somewhere  on the
Net. Just copy and paste this, but change the document class unless  you want
slides.

[André]

Just one more question about the background image. Here, and in the  doc you
sent, too, the picture looks like a badly compressed jpeg,  although we feed a
nice clean eps. I found no information about this,  neither in the
graphicx nor
in the eso-pic documentation. Do you have  an idea?

[Roy]

Good and fair point. *smile* My image was of low quality to begin with
and at compilation time it was compressed further. From my experience,
LyX compresses graphics strongly by default. If you go to
FIle->Export->LaTeX, then compile the output using e.g. pdflatex
example.tex which was produced from example.lyx. Does that make matters
better? I think the list discussed it before so I suggest you ask about
compression in LyX. This is a general behaviour, not just with
backgrounds. The list would know, I suppose.

[André]

Now it fails with

! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.

Have to investigate on that now ...

[Roy]

My LaTeX compiler likes PNG and the like, but not EPS. I use the GIMP
(gimp.org) for format conversions. But 'convert' from ImageMagick can do
likewise rapidly.

[André]

Yeah, I am using convert for such stuff, too. Funny enough, pdflatex  launched
from LyX works fine with eps, but not from the command line.

[...]

Help anybody?