Re: [wp-hackers] Cruft (was Caching of numbers of comments?)

Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I  take Aaron's side in this. Am I the only one to ever reply off-list?  I
>also  prefer pointing people to existing discussions on top/bottom posting
>and HTML/plain-text. This tends to be less direct and thus less offensive.

I don't care who's side anyone takes, as this isn't about "sides" to me.
 If I sent a personal note to every person who top-posts, I'd be a
pretty busy fellow!  Better to say it once, for the group, and then move
on.  Almost every mailing list on which I participate has these
reminders pop up from some aggravated member.  See the Postfix list for
examples of how hostile it can get.

David House wrote:
> Certainly my email, and probably skippy's as well was intended in
> general, rather than directed specifically at Aaron, but perhaps I'm
> wrong.

You're not wrong.  I wasn't trying to pick on Aaron.  I wasn't trying to
instigate a fight.  Unfortunately, Aaron's overly long message was the
straw that broke the camel's back, and prompted my message.

Overly quoted messages drastically increase the noise in a conversation.
 It makes it harder to skim a message, and they pollute archive searches.

If anyone took offense, please accept my sincere apologies.

--
skippy@xxxxxxxxxx | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35