Re: Simple questions.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Meyer" <mwm-keyword-lyx?users.35b043@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Roy Schestowitz" <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: Simple questions.

In <20050911155155.lcm956qtoi88ggcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
_____/ On Fri 09 Sep 2005 22:14:14 BST, [Mike Meyer] wrote : \_____

> Bcc: mwm-local@localhost
> --text follows this line--
> 1) Has anyone done a layout file for unixman.sty? Google didn't turn
> one up, nor did google turn up an archive of LyX layout files.
I have not come across it. Do you strictly need that specific style? It is
usually easy to manipulate existing ones to suit your requirements.

Well, it does the things I want. I'm still learning what will be required to get this working, and may wind up doing what you suggest in this case. I was hoping somene had already done it.

> 2) I know this has to have been discussed to death - probably
> repeatedly - but I couldn't seem to find the right query to tickle
> google or the list archives into kicking it up. Could someone
> provide a pointer to a rational for going with a single window
> instead of the far more common multiple window approach? Or even > tabs?
I think I am following your point here. It is just slightly hard-to-follow,
which must be the reason no (constructive) replies have yet been sent.

Sorry about that.

What I mean is that most applications let you open multiple windows
for "editing" puproses, with each window usually restricted to a
specific file. So when you open multiple documents, you get a window
per document, and a menu of windows. With LyX, you get one window, and
a menu of Documents. You change between documents in that window. This
drove me batty while working through the documentation - I wanted one
window on the documentation I was reading, and another on a document I
was using as a sandbox. I eventually solved that one by exporting the
documentation as PDF, and reading *that*. I still get bit every once
and a while. I'll ask "How do I do X", hit the Help menu, find what I
want, then proceed to "do X" to the documentation. I think mostly it's
a matter of "what I'm used to", and was wondering why it was done this
way.

You can also open multiple sessions of Lyx there by having more than one document window open at once. It is a bit crude but it will give you what you want and it is no worse than opening the docs as a pdf. It also allows you to open the document settings for more than one doc and then cut and paste items between the preambles. Very useful I find.

Geoff

Angus Leeming <leeming@xxxxxxx> provided an answer to my question:
dealing with mutliple views into the same document requires major
restructuring of the code. This is planned for 1.5 (or later). I'd be
happy if each document was restricted to a single window, but what
the hey - if I really want it, I have the source code.

Thanks,
<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@xxxxxxxxx> http://www.mired.org/consulting.html