Re: [wp-hackers] Plugin Development Request: gada.be

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Plugin Development Request: gada.be
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:05:27 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:05:29 +0100
_____/ On Sun 16 Oct 2005 07:28:05 BST, [Chris Pirillo] wrote : \_____

WP Hackers,

Per Matt's suggestion, I joined this list to find someone to develop a
plugin for a new metasearch tool we unleashed this week... http://gada.be/ -
and if you haven't already checked it out, I'd invite you to do so.

Nice idea. However, the aggregation or centralisation of search engine has been
discussed to death at hntp://alt.internet.search-engines. It's often like an
attempt to mix chocolate icecream with vanilla, blendering some cherries and
then melting them all together to get some sort of puree. It just doesn't work.
No wonder one such service is called "Dogpile".

the extra bits aside appear to me like 'toy features', but I am not sure they
can truly enhance the quality of SERP's.

UPDATE: I totally miscomprehended the idea of the project. Ignore comments above
completely and consider removing the referrer bits at the bottom of the page to
a separate (new) page. You don't need that indicator of status, which is
deceiving.

I formally requested a Drupal plugin earlier this afternoon, although I'd
wager that most folks who'd want to use it are already on WordPress. Still,
if you'd like the reference: http://drupal.org/node/34200

Chad Everett crafted an amazing plugin for MovableType, and I'd imagine
something extremely similar could be done for WordPress by someone on this
list (or anybody): http://www.everitz.com/sol/mt-gadabe/

I think the intention of crafting such a plug-in is merely to serve as promotion
for your site. What evidence is there to suggest that the product of such a
plug-in will contribute to the users' experience?

Having said that, I am sure there are some enthusiastic folks who would use this
as a jolly opportunity to hop aboard and implement a plug-in that integrates
closely with your API's.

If you can help, please let me know.

Chris

Best of luck, Chris. It's a nice idea with great potential.

_____/ On Sun 16 Oct 2005 07:40:41 BST, [Firas D.] wrote : \_____

Maybe I'm just thick, but I've clicked all over gada.be, the drupal and everitz pages, and have no idea what this plugin is supposed to do... besides "integrate your site with the new gada.be <http://gada.be/> metasearch service, just by using template tags to provide links right on your entry pages!" which is basically jargon. Links to what?

http://gada.be/about

Nice work on the site, by the way!

I second that. I have just taken it for a spin and bookmarked it. Meta/semantic
search is something I am particularly interested in these days (see bottom of
sig).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
 7:50am  up 51 days 20:04,  5 users,  load average: 1.17, 0.74, 0.70