Re: Symbol fonts in Mandriva 2006.

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Symbol fonts in Mandriva 2006.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:03:08 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:03:12 +0000
_____/ On Thu 02 Mar 2006 19:08:10 GMT, [Rudi Gaelzer] wrote : \_____

Hi Rudi,

I have a similar problem, as well as a few suggestions or pointers.

I'm baffled!
I've just installed Paul Smith's rpm package for LyX 1.3.7 in my Mandriva 2006
LE system. He developed the package for Mandriva 2005 LE, but the package
seemed to work for the 2006 release as well.

Good  distribution.  I saw it recently when migrating a friend  to  64-bit
Linux  and  was impressed. It comes with a comprehensive set of fonts  for
all  I can, tell but I believe the problem that you describe is  unrelated
to fonts.

However, I just noticed that I lost the display of several math symbols like
Greek letters, \parallel, \perp, etc.  I lost them only on the display;
LyXPreview shows the symbols all right.

While I work on LyX under Fedora Core, I have the exact same problem on my
main workstation which is SuSE. It used to work fine on that SuSE box, but
at  some  stage I began to get LaTeX sequences rather than the symbols.  I
did not upgrade the system or anything.

I tried installing the auxiliary packages fonts-ttf-latex-0.1-1mdk.noarch.rpm
and latex-xft-fonts-0.1-1.noarch.rpm alternatively and also with both
packages installed and nothing works.  I even uninstalled the 1.3.7 package
and returned to the 1.3.6 version, but still no symbols on display.

Does anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

First of all, I suggest you try to change interface fonts under prefences.
If this does not help, consider more TrurType fonts, although I suspect it
it *them* that broke things in the first place. Last thing I would consid-
er  is trying the same on an adjacent machine, if one is available. See if
updates  to  Mandriva  or some more font RPM's make a difference.  If  you
found  a  solution, I would be interested in hearing about it  too.  Fonts
were  my natural instinct, considering them to be the culprit. However,  I
would  suggest something more lateral because I haven't yet found a  solu-
tion.  I wonder if an option exists in LyX somewhere, which controls  this
behaviour because, as I said, it used to work fine.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com