Re: [wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:31:28 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:31:32 +0000
_____/ On Sat 04 Mar 2006 22:48:21 GMT, [Robert Deaton] wrote : \_____

Dear all hackers and lurkers (I know you're out there),

Hi Robert,

With the growing frequency of topics that are frustrated with the way
WordPress is currently moving, especially this post from the forums
list ( http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-forums/2006-March/001532.html
), I'm growing curious as to how the hackers community as a whole
feels, so I'd like to throw up a little survey, and find out what some
people honestly think.

For what it's worth, I saw newsgroups threads that went along that theme
too. One matter is WordPress as-is and a separate issue is the upgrade.
It's the same scenario for usability and stability as it is a feature-wise
argument (alluding to 2.x in particular).

- How do you think the Development model of WordPress is now? What are
its strongpoints? What are its flaws? What do you think should be
changed and what should be left the same?

I know that you will disagree, but WordPress is managed by a collection of
heroes rather than involve a layered delegation of responsibilities. It
makes matters poorly-structured. Can you put together a mental image of
WordPress development, from a social perspective?

- What are your views on project's leadership? Are they steering us in
the right direction, or are we going downhill? Is community feedback
weighted enough with personal views of the developers? Are we
interacting with people outside the coding community enough to get a
fair view of what could be the best for everyone?

I happen to agree with many opinions voiced by the 'leadership'. I don't
think there is much place for improvement in that respect.

- Do we get too little, just the right amount, or too much feedback
from the developers on things discussed on this list and elsewhere? Do
you think this has a positive or negative impact on the project as a
whole?

Feedback has a cost. I remember times when Matt spent much of his time just
catching up with E-mail, mailing lists, the blogsphere, forums and so
forth.

I'll leave my views out of this message and answer my own questions
later in the thread.