Re: Bulletin Boards and Search Engines

  • Subject: Re: Bulletin Boards and Search Engines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:19:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Canbeara wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm in the early stages of planning a user-interactive bulletin board,
> where
> members can log on and begin discussion threads.  Because the content of
> the site is an important issue (ie that search engines be able to find
> it), can anyone tell me if bulletin boards (ie, the open source type that
> are often included in web hosting packages, like B2, or PHPBB, etc) are
> actually "searchable" by search engines?

You can make the forums public or make them accessible (and readable) only
to members.

> Any advice on bulletin board infrastructure to ensure search-engine
> accessability?

Hold on. Do you want to _hide_ information or _share_ it with search
engines? If the latter, you just need to look into search engine
optimisation... the usual stuff... links, structure...

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com