Re: Subdirectories

  • Subject: Re: Subdirectories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:46:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html

https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-bionaz.php

> Could you mention the main advantages and disadvantages with using
> subsubdirectories?

A common mistake in file management is to avoid nested directories. I see
many Windows users who keep a flat and highly-unmanageable "My Documents"
directory. As far as the Web is concerned, exactly the same principles
apply. It is easy to procrastinate at the start and become reliant on a
flat structure. However, what happens when your site expands to comprise
10,000 files? Can you ever get directory listing in a reasonable time? Can
you ever find, by filename, the objects you worked with years ago?

The only disadvantage I can think of is the inflexibility in moving pages,
but even /this/ can be avoided. I see that you use relative paths as in
'../../index.htm'. You will be better off with just '/index.htm', trust me.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com