Re: Subdirectories

  • Subject: Re: Subdirectories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 02:06:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

>> > Could you mention the main advantages and disadvantages with using
>> > subsubdirectories?
>>
>> A common mistake in file management is to avoid nested directories. I see
>> many Windows users who keep a flat and highly-unmanageable "My Documents"
>> directory. As far as the Web is concerned, exactly the same principles
>> apply. It is easy to procrastinate at the start and become reliant on a
>> flat structure. However, what happens when your site expands to comprise
>> 10,000 files?
>
> At the beginning the site was not large you know..
> it was easier for me to use simple paths for the files
> now I am thinking about using subsubdirectories because it has got larger
> and larger...
>
> Can you ever get directory listing in a reasonable time? Can
>> you ever find, by filename, the objects you worked with years ago?
>
> So far, mostly yes,  but the site is going to be larger and larger...

Learn from the mistakes I made and always use a hierarchy deeper than what
you think is needed. If you add directories called "May" and "June", put
them under a directory such as "2000". It will potentially save you
'migration' work later.

>> The only disadvantage I can think of is the inflexibility in moving
>> pages, but even /this/ can be avoided. I see that you use relative paths
>> as in '../../index.htm'. You will be better off with just '/index.htm',
>> trust
> me.
>
> How does a file jump from a subsubdirectory to the directory if I do not

I guess it depends on the relationship between the files and some people
will disagree with me, but...

'/index.htm' will always work provided that index remains immovable.
'../../index.htm' will break is the page under question descends into a
deeper level. These dependencies are hard to detect, too (unless your site
is being crawled and errors are triggered).

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com