Re: Minimizing image detail loss while downsizing

  • Subject: Re: Minimizing image detail loss while downsizing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:00:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.graphics.apps.photoshop
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Bill Hilton wrote:

>>Rhus wrote
>>
>>would the image detail loss be more pronounced if the ratio of
>>downsizing was not easily divisible by 2, for example:
>>1. I have an image 2048 pixels wide and resize it to 1024 pixels wide
>>2. I have an image 2048 pixels wide and resize it to 970 pixels wide
>
> For this case, where you're not downsampling very much, it shouldn't
> matter.
>
> If you have CS use the 'bicubic sharper' option.
>
> Sometimes if you are *really* downsampling, like say a 10,000 pixel per
> side scan down to say a web thumbnail of 75 pixels you'll be better off
> downsampling in steps, but for small percentages you likely won't see
> any difference.
>
> And as Brian implied, sometimes you should do it both ways and compare
> since under some conditions you'll see differences.

I have a related question which I intended to ask for a while, but held back
because I still use GIMP 1.2. Why is it that when down-sizing (scaling) an
image, I get a slight blurring effect? Is it just me? Is it something I can
(and should) expect?

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com