Re: Vegan Bodybuilders??

  • Subject: Re: Vegan Bodybuilders??
  • From: NoOption5L@aol.com
  • Date: 4 Apr 2005 19:15:57 -0700
  • Newsgroups: alt.fitness.weights, misc.fitness.weights, sci.med.nutrition
NYC XYZ wrote:
> Hi, All:

> Just wondering if anyone knows a "buffed" vegan.  I doubt there are
any
> pro or even amateur vegan bodybuilders -- and by "vegan" I simply
mean
> no meat, but do allow for diary products (milk, eggs, etc.) -- but is
> it at least theoretically possible, or does muscle mass necessarily
> mean animal proteins, at least at that level of competition??

Your body doesn't care from what source it gets its protein from, only
that all the necessary amino acids are there when it needs them.  And
since it's very easy to get plenty of protein/all the aminos from a
vegetarian diet, it's very possible.  The limiting factor, a
generalization, is that most vegetarians tend to care about their
health and longevity much more than the heavy steriod-doping lab rats
who [dis]grace the covers of the muscle magazines.

Patrick