Re: Palm Rants

In article <42568bc9$0$305$4d4ebb8e@read.news.de.uu.net>, U. Lippke wrote:

> As HandEra didn't hesitate to add network capabilities to the built-in Palm
> mail application I think they would have fixed these silly outdated
> clipboard and memo limits too - if it were easy (or allowed?).

 The problem is that, on the original 128KB Palms, memos were limited to 4K,
(for both size and fragmentation reasons) and the Hotsync protocol knows that.
To maintain compatibility with all the existing installations and third-party
syncs and so forth, they've kept that limitation. They didn't want people
trying to share nonstandard memos and causing all kinds of havoc.

 Including a version number somewhere in a header might have avoided all
the pain, but they didn't think to do that at the start. I remember seeing
a page somewhere that told you how to hack the Memo executable to use
larger memos, but it broke syncing and got pretty slow when editing big
memos.

 I agree that, even if they were stuck with the data file formats they'd
started with, they could have worked harder on adding features to the
built-in apps...

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 "The growing and dangerous intrusion of this new technology [threatens
   our] economic vitality and future security. [It] is to the American
     film producer... as the Boston Strangler is to the woman alone."
         - Jack Valenti, in 1982, regarding the advent of the VCR.