Re: Firefox + highlighted URL

  • Subject: Re: Firefox + highlighted URL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:28:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> If I highlight an URL in kmail or knode,
> and I do not already have a Firefox window
> then I am asked to choose a new Firefox profile,
> which in my experience causes trouble.
>
> However, if there is a Firefox window already open
> then there is no problem;
> the new URL is opened (as a tab).
>
> This isn't really a problem;
> I just have to make sure there is a Firefox window open
> before highlighting an URL.
> But I wondered if this was a general experience?

I suffer even worse usability issues under KDE 3.1. When I open links in
KNode, KMail or RSSOwl (having configured them all properly), I often get a
Firefox session with fonts that are the same colour as the window
background colour. I sometimes have the exact same problem as you have
described. I sometimes have multiple windows open. Even worse, I sometimes
spot multiple windows opening as a result of a single click.

My solace: links no longer open in Konqueror. I just wish links were handled
more smoothly and consistently.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com