Re: wifi security

  • Subject: Re: wifi security
  • From: johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:42:43 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:56:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
wrote:

>n wrote:
>
>> i have a tungsten t3 and a palm wifi card.  i am new to wifi.
>> how can i secure my wifi transmissions, so that individuals can not
>> intercept my wifi transmissions.  so far i have only used the wifi card at
>> free wifi locations.
>>
>> thanks in advance--
>
>Your WiFi exchange of traffic should be fairly secure because there is an
>exchange of keys if I recall correctly. There are two points of insecurity:
>
>1. The WiFi supplier can monitors your traffic
>
>2. WiFi can be hijacked by unauthorised users if its use is not properly
>protected using some secret string and/or username/password authentication.
>
>Don't let these flaw deceive you. Your traffic is rather safe despite being
>wireless. In fact, being wireless, security is at a premium.
>
>Roy
>
>--
>Roy S. Schestowitz
>http://Schestowitz.com

Roy, you're full of it.

It's been well documented, on /. and elsewhere, that the feeble encryption
available (WEP 128-bit, which ins't even 128-bit), can be easily and quickly
cracked using freeware software tools. In once recent demo, it only took 3
minutes for an FBI team to do so at a hackers' conference.

Palm does not have WPA encrption, which *would* protect the user.

--
John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
"This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH