Re: wifi security

  • Subject: Re: wifi security
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:56:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
n wrote:

> i have a tungsten t3 and a palm wifi card.  i am new to wifi.
> how can i secure my wifi transmissions, so that individuals can not
> intercept my wifi transmissions.  so far i have only used the wifi card at
> free wifi locations.
>
> thanks in advance--

Your WiFi exchange of traffic should be fairly secure because there is an
exchange of keys if I recall correctly. There are two points of insecurity:

1. The WiFi supplier can monitors your traffic

2. WiFi can be hijacked by unauthorised users if its use is not properly
protected using some secret string and/or username/password authentication.

Don't let these flaw deceive you. Your traffic is rather safe despite being
wireless. In fact, being wireless, security is at a premium.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com