Re: Wired Headset Combo

  • Subject: Re: Wired Headset Combo
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:50:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
Mathias Koerber wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz said the following on 2/8/2005 22:51:
>> There are no combos. Separate jacks would be used for output and input
>> and rarely will you find one for input on a PDA...
>
> Phones have combos and those would be useful on PDAs too
> (recording memos, Skype etc).

I think that most of these combos have two separate wires to suit the
different output jacks on the soundcard (or whatever you would call it
depending on the medium). Combos will be less compatible and universal, I'm
imagining.

I don't think Skype intend to implement a Palm version any time soon
*frown*. They had plans, but they were apparently conceded.

http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/May_2005/msg00168.html

>>>... I don't like Bluetooth(insecure) ...
>> I believe you are incorrect. Unless somebody else gets hold of a device
>> with the same distinct patterns (e.g. key), Bluetooth is one of the
>> safest things to use. Are you worried that somebody else might listen to
>> your music? If you prefer not to use Bluetooth technology, why suggest
>> that it's not secure?
>
> There are reports of people accessing phonebooks/calls on Bluetooth
> phones, injecting sound into them etc.

You mean like /this/ one from Slashdot a few hours ago?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/03/140201&tid=222
        (Injecting Audio Into Insecure Bluetooth Handsets)

> While those may be implementation specific issues, how is one to find
> out/fix that? I'd avoid it by using a wired headset..

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com