Re: new computer: dilemma

  • Subject: Re: new computer: dilemma
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:45:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
doppelgänger wrote:

> Am looking to buy a new 'puter (base unit) and would sooner get one from a
> local independent outfit which builds them in-house, rather than somewhere
> like PC World. But the catch seems to be that I'll end up paying much more
> for the machine because I'll have to fork out loads of cash for the
> software that would be 'thrown in' with one from PC World (etc.).
>
> Have thought about eBay for software. Is there likely to be a drawback to
> buying MS products such as Works or Office on eBay? (I'd only go for ones
> that are described as unused, unregistered, sealed.)
>
> Any advice most gratefully received.
> d.

Go to: http://www.dabs.com/uk

Have a look at the product with quicklinx (top-right input box): 3QV3WS

The machine which costs GBP 140 +tax comes with Mandrake Linux. It probably
includes Open Office and pretty much any piece of software that you will
ever need. I believe you will need to but the box separately, but it is
still a huge bargain, especially if you need plenty of software.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com