Re: I can not turn on my T5 !

  • Subject: Re: I can not turn on my T5 !
  • From: "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 01:44:03 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
 Kozo Morimoto wrote:
> I was using my calculator program KK-12c (demo) and to exit out of the
> program, I pressed the 'home' button (the left most button).  The T5
> looked like it turned itself off (crashed), so I pressed the turn on
> button.
> Nothing.  I then tried every reset commands listed on the Palm knowledge
> base (soft, hard, in cradle, zero out) but nothing seems to turn on the
> T5.
> None of the resets registers any kind of reaction from the T5.  The T5 was
> fully charged the night before, so its not the battery, but I've plugged
> it in overnight, just in case, but I still get no reaction.
>
> Is it dead?  Are there any other way to try to start it?  I just don't
> want the hassle of sending it for repairs and waiting for weeks for it to
> come
> back.  But if this is the only solution, so be it...   Lucky that I've
> kept my 5 year old Vx in my closet, I can continue reading my Harry Potter !

I had a similar failure with my Zire 72s, except that I wasn't using it when it
failed.

It was sitting on my desk to my right while I was working.  I keep my office
dim, so I saw it come on.  I figured it was an alarm, except it didn't beep nor
did the LED blink.  I turned to look at it, and could see it wasn't an alarm
display, and I didn't recognize it as any of the usual displays.  The display
went off before I could pick it up to take a good look.  No attempt to get it
started again worked.  It was till under warranty, so I exchanged it.  An oddity
to all this was that, thought it was "dead, I left it on my desk while waiting
for the exchange, and late the next evening it flashed on for just long enough
for me to notice it in my peripheral vision then went off again.

    - Bill