Re: To Users of Google Groups

  • Subject: Re: To Users of Google Groups
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:24:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
arbpen2003@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you are replying to a message in this group (or any group), please
> be sure that you have clicked on Show Options.  Then when you reply to
> a message, the original message will be quoted for you.  Be sure to
> only reply to relavent portions and snip anything superfluous.
>
> If you do not click on Show Options, no one will know to what you are
> replying.  This is especially true of users who are not using Google
> Groups (and that's a lot of people).
>
> Please realize that you are reading Usenet messages.  Most people use a
> news reader to read and post Usenet messages.  There are many news
> clients available, some free.  You can Google for Usenet News Readers
> and get thousands of results.  Not only will you enjoy the benefits of
> news client, your messages will get to news servers quickly, not three
> hours later.

...moreover, your message will less likely be killfiled (some people already
do this to messages originating in Google Groups). I have no problem with
Google Groups, but it encourages messages that will rarely get replied to,
sometimes even displayed. Also, such messages will often just distract many
regular readers. How many times have we seen a reply to a thread from last
year or several months ago? This is why they call it _news_groups, not
archivegroups.

If you use Google Groups regularly, it is in your best of interests to
'upgrade' and use a native newsreader, my recommendation being Thunderbird,
which is free and cross-platform:

www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird