Re: Microsoft Outlook in Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Outlook in Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:50:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
AT wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:32:34 +0000, Henk Oegema wrote:
>

>> "Henk Oegema" <henkoegema@xxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>>> When I migrate from WindowsXP to Linux (SuSe9.3) can I convert (or read)
>> my
>>> archived Microsoft Outlook e-mails?
>>> If so, which program should be able to do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Henk
>>>
>> NOT Outlook Express, but Microsoft Outlook (which is a part of their
>> office suite)
>
> Search Google for numerous tools that work more or less reliably. The
> solution that worked for me ages ago was an IMAP server that stores its
> mail data in mbox format.

In order for you to gain confidence, I suggest that you install Thunderbird
on Windows. Then, Thunderbird will import not only your mail (without any
errors or inconsistencies), but also import your settings, e.g. mail
servers with extra options.

Having got your Thunderbird settings directory in Windows
(~Win**/Application Data/Thunderbird or something similar), which is very
independent and you can be sure works for you, graft it in its entirety to
your SuSE Linux installation under .thunderbird/ . Your local folders will
be readable and will definitely stay the same form as they appeared under
Windows because all is in MBOX format and the settings, filters, etc. are
XML.