Re: Microsoft Outlook in Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Outlook in Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:59:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
[Larry]

>> Here's what I did when I migrated from Win2k to Linux:
>>
>> 1) installed Mozilla on Win2k.
>> 2) had Win2k Mozilla Mail import my mail from Outlook Express
>> 3) saved my Win2k Mozilla mail dir struct to a CD
>> 4) installed linux (re-partition and reformat drives, SuSE with
>>    reiserfs - the SuSE default)
>> 5) installed Mozilla for linux
>> 6) manually made missing mail folders (those that were
>>    in my mozilla mail on Win2k, but not in my mozila
>>    mail on linux).  This is req'd to create the correct
>>    entries in the mozilla config file.
>> 7) copied my Win2k mozilla mail dir struct from the CD to
>>    my linux mozilla mail dir.
>>
>> At the time I did this (3 years ago), Mozilla for linux could
>> not import Outlook Express mail, but Mozilla for Win2k could
>> import Outlook Express mail.
>>
>> Larry

[Henk:]

> Hei Larry
>
> I'm talking about Microsoft Oultlook, NOT Outlook Express.
> Does the same apply?
>
> Henk

You have nothing to lose if you try. I advice that you download Mozilla
Thunderbird (~8 MB) which is the most recent and reliable NS-family mail
client. Import your mail from Outlook and appraise the results. If happy,
move Thunderbird folders to Linux, which is guaranteed to preserve the
structure fully. Remember that "Import "will _not_ affect Outlook, so if
you are unhappy with the outcome you can just uninstall Thunderbird from
Windows. No changes done.