Re: What engines search "dot" criteria?

Thus spake Roy Schestowitz:

> I am not aware of any search engine (yet) that deals with and preserves
> punctuation. Search engines handle tokens and if you introduce the
> inclusion of dots, how will you deal with, e.g.

I think this discussion focuses on the power of the quote mark.

Currently, SE's use the period as a delimiter and will never disallow these
delimiters. While quotes are frequently used as a delimiter, SE's won't allow
the use of the period even if included within quotes, which in my humble
opinion, they should.

Bottom line: quotes should tell SE's "use this criteria *untouched* " and
allow all sorts of special characters. This would make SE's very powerful,
indeed.

Thanks,

DaveC
me@xxxxxxxxxxx