Re: Google only indexes some pages of my site

  • Subject: Re: Google only indexes some pages of my site
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:00:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Big Bill wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:50:12 GMT, "Zachary Hilbun"
> <gunner@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I have a new site, http://www.inlocalarea.com, which has been up for a few
>>months and has only a few links to it.  Google has indexed some of the top
>>level pages but most of the pages are unindexed.  This is a hobby sight
>>and the pages that are unindexed typically have many links and very little
>>text. The page http://www.inlocalarea.com/Guns/LinksMain.htm is indexed
>>but only http://www.inlocalarea.com/Guns/LinksInformation.htm below that
>>is indexed. I don't know why Google chose to index
>>http://www.inlocalarea.com/Guns/LinksInformation.htm as this page doesn't
>>seem to be any better than the unindexed pages. Is Google not indexing
>>because I don't have that many links to my site or because it doesn't like
>>pages that have many links but little text?  If it doesn't like pages with
>>many links and little text, is there a way to get around that?
>
> Given that Google has limited resources I'm guessing it'll either come
> back to index your site when it has time on its hands or when your
> site appears to have more content that it can index, text content. I'd
> be adding text content by the boatload if I were you.

Also consider an XML site map which probably encourages Google to crawl your
site assuming it hasn't done so entirely by now.

The folks at alt.www.webmaster appear to be happy enough with Xenu to handle
this task:

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

I think there is a trial version. You can also get Google's own software for
free:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=137793&package_id=153422

I would recommend the latter provided that you know your way around
compilation, scripting, etc. It was written in Python.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com