Re: Google only indexes some pages of my site

Big Bill wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:54:39 GMT, AF <bscinc3000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:00:40 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>snip
>>>The folks at alt.www.webmaster appear to be happy enough with Xenu to
>>>handle this task:
>>>
>>>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
>>>
>>snip
>>
>>I have XENU and use it on some site to generate a sirte map.  Is it's
>>site map enough for google?  I thought google wanted an xhtml map, and
>>I see only an html site map from XENU.  Or is any html based site map
>>acceptable, even if I type it by hand?
>
> You can offer it text ones as well.

Taking semantics into account, preferably you should give it XML (I
suppose), but you can indeed give text as well. Anything that is easily
interpretable by Google's *NIX systems would be fine. As long as you don't
embed your links in heavy templates and invalid HTML you will allow Google
to 'diff' the files and identify new pages. Also, since site map generation
(should) becomes automatic, it will require no intervention on your behalf
and will report changes immediately.

>>Second, for a larger site with multiple links to any given page,
>>XENU's site map creates many lines or links to the same page.  To a
>>human visitor looking at the site map, this is confusing and can make
>>the site map quite long.  In other wrods, the XENU map does not limit
>>itself to a single entry per web page but rather can and does create
>>multiple ones.  Is this acceptable to google?  Or am I doing something
>>wrong with XENU's site map?
>
> I suspect that we don't really know. Collectively, we haven't joined
> our hands in supplication to the Google Gods, not even the new evil
> ones, in thanks for the whole site mapping concept. We're not sure
> about it. So we dunno, really. Let us know how you get on.

Your site map should not be displayed to users unless you wish for it to be
so. In the past, pages with over 100 links were said to be unappreciated by
both users and search engines.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com