Re: What is "Goooooogle" and why is "Goooooogle" not Google?

  • Subject: Re: What is "Goooooogle" and why is "Goooooogle" not Google?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:48:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Friday 19 August 2005 19:31, www.1-script.com wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Because that would put Google on each and every page, as a keyword.
>
> Well, I don't think it's the reason: this part of the HTML code gets
> pulled onto the page by JavaScript which bots cannot execute, so it would
> make no difference if it's "Google" or "Gooooogle". Besides, on adlinks it
> still says "Ads by Google", and it does not seem to bother anyone.
> I remember about two years ago (maybe little less, actually) when they
> just made the change to "Gooooogle" there was some kind of funny
> explanation given on their news page, but I cannot recall what they
> actually meant by that. Just take it as a fact of life, it does not really
> mean anything IMHO.

They do exactly the same at the bottom of the SERP. I think it's a part of
the "don't be evil" mantra. They try to be a little toyish, that's all.
Given the source of the name Google, these 'o's (or zeroes) might have some
meaning/significance too.

This is only a speculation, I must stress...

Roy S. Schestowitz        Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
http://Schestowitz.com