Re: Will Linux Run?

  • Subject: Re: Will Linux Run?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:07:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
On Saturday 20 August 2005 14:39, Paul Sherwin wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2005 02:40:00 -0700, "Jack Ouzzi" <mick.sturbes@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>On and old P11 500 Mhz with 32mb ram (wow) and ..... well I don't know
>>how big the HD is, maybe a whopping 800mb. Actually I have some memory
>>chips to put in but don't know yet if they are compatable. Have not got
>>the (rescued from the tip) PC yet.
>>
>>Will be a linux only system .....  ;-)
>
> As others have said, Damn Small Linux would be a good start, and you
> can install it on your HD if you want to. You can install and run most
> distros on that hardware with care, though disk space will be tight
> for the desktop oriented distros, and 32MB is low for many X apps.
>
> HTH, Paul

I had Mandrake 9 running on a machine with a 133 MHz Pentium and about 32 MB
of RAM. The experience is not terrible provided that you multi-task on your
desk, e.g. if you work on a laptop and occasionally want to run some heavy
process on a different CPU for a minute or two. Heavy distributions with
KDE won't be very responsive. It's a good time to consider minimalist
window managers, though it greatly depends what purpose the computer will
serve. Will it be a Web server? A tool for graphical work (where thumbnails
help)? A mail/browsing environment? A music player?

Roy S. Schestowitz        chmod a-r *.mbox
http://Schestowitz.com