Re: Streaming audio using m3u playlist file

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:40, Barry Koopersmith wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

On Sunday 21 August 2005 04:46, Barry Koopersmith wrote:

I created a webpage with this line of code:

The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:

http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3

Here is the webpage:

http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm

When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.

What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed
some extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g.
enqueue, play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be
dealing with this at source code level unless there is some M$-specific
hack, which would not be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you
get a different behaviour when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3
file reside locally as well? I assume not.

Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default
application for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours
depending on where it comes from.

It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.

Roy

Does the mp3 play in Internet Explorer if anybody else clicks that link? Please let me know.

I can't check at the moment as I have no access to a machine running Windows, however...

Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it
starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
downloads)?

RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version wouldn't hurt if you have the conversion software already. Bear in mind, as Spartanicus said:

"There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
you use."

If I were to click a link to an MP3 file on your site, it would open up in
RealPlayer, which means it would not interfere with my current playlists in
XMMS. Never assume anything as regards the set preferences, application or
platform. I suggest you leave that to the user and worry less whether an
extra click is necessary or not. Add a gentle reminder to the visitor
saying that he/she might need to start the audio explicitly. When I click a
link to an MP3, I first get the choice as to whether I want it saved or
opened. The one click 'magic' can never be guaranteed.

Roy

The first time you click on a file link of a particular file type, Internet Explorer asks you if you want to open or save the file and you have the option of checking the box if you want the answer remembered. If someone selects "open", my goal is to have the large mp3 file streamed so it plays immediately. It doesn't matter to me which player the person uses to play it. When they click on the m3u, it is supposed to call up whatever music player is assiciated with the m3u file type. On my computer, it is WinAmp.

The problem is on my computer, all the different web browsers open the default m3u music player but Internet Explorer (with a live webpage, not from my local hard drive) is the only web browser that does not play the mp3 (it open opens the music player but does not play the mp3). Even if you click the "Play" button, it does not play. You have to type in the complete URL of the mp3. Is this a problem only on my computer or a problem using this code with Internet Explorer?

Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage so if you select the open to open the file and your default music player opens, it
starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
downloads with Internet Explorer and the other web browsers?