Re: Firefox and KMail

  • Subject: Re: Firefox and KMail
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:26:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
On Monday 22 August 2005 07:15, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

>>> Yes, in my rusty version of KDE the browser binary gets input separately
>>> in each application. In fact, under all major Internet applications that
>>> I use (formerly KMail, KNode and RSSOwl), the extrenal browser needs it
>>> path specified. There is looser integration, that's all.
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>
>> What I really want is to open pages directly in the browser, rather than
>> save
>> them to /tmp first.  From there, links don't work.  I may even reinstall
>> Mozilla and accept the security risk.
>>
>> Doug.
>
> Well, it works, but something is making it drop the "%u" from the command
> line.  I thought that it might be msec, but it has happened twice within
> 24 hours.  Since the command is "mozilla-firefox"  I was thinking of
> creating an alias from "firefox" to "mozilla-firefox %u", but that sounds
> very much like a workaround, and it would be specific to the user.  There
> must be a better way?
>
> Doug.

What you have done appears to be OK. I already have similar workarounds in
place. for instance, I use a small script to refer mailto: requests in
Firefox to Thunderbird.

I have no clue why the %u gets dropped, but I imagine that % has a special
meaning or is interpreted as a second element that your version of KMail
(?) is unwilling to accept. I know of at least another person (with a newer
version of KDE) who could have the %u in place. I was in the same situation
as you some months ago.

Roy S. Schestowitz        chmod a-r *.mbox
http://Schestowitz.com