View Processes, Cron Privileges

I have a hard time setting up a job which periodically outputs usage stats.
I wish to be able to easily check stats remotely, so every 10 minutes the
following gets executed:

top -b -n 1 >> ~/public_html/caption.txt

However, the cron job comes up with the following error:

"TERM environment variable not set."

Previously, I could get around an error with

import -window root ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg

by adding the following beforehand

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

but how can I get usage to be output? I could not find an answer on the Web
unfortunately...

Many thanks in advance,